Welcome to Saxophone Community!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Photo

Mouthpiece Material

• Please log in to reply

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

VandyW

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Valentine Alto
  • My Mouthpiece:standard
  • Years Of Playing:1 month
what is the difference between mouthpiece with different materials ?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Paul Dalley

Advanced Saxophone Player

• Moderators
  • 122 posts
  • 18 topics
  • My Saxophone:Vintage 1928 Beauscher true tone Alto Sax.
  • My Mouthpiece:Vintage 1920 Buescher Tru-Tone Try-Lay Medium Chamber Alto Sax Mouthpiece.
  • Years Of Playing:3 Months
Mouthpieces resonate in slightly different ways depending on the material they are made of, for instance a metal mouthpiece will sound a lot crisper & brighter than an old mellow sounding wooden one. The main mateials used are wooden, bakelight, hard rubber & metal.
Brass bands tend to use bakelight & jazz players metal. The mouthpiece resonance is also dependant on the size & shape of the chamber inside it & also the reed attached to it. A mouthpiece is a very personal preferance & trying to emulate another player or sound like them is not allways garanteed by using the same setup as them, your mouth size, shape, body shape & lungs also have a bearing in the equasion.
Hope this helps to explain your question

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

VandyW

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 2 topics
thx
so , what mouthpiece can sound jazzy?and the reed strength ? and what brand u prefered?

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Paul Dalley

• Moderators
  • 122 posts
  • 18 topics
  • My Saxophone:Vintage 1928 Beauscher true tone Alto Sax.
  • My Mouthpiece:Vintage 1920 Buescher Tru-Tone Try-Lay Medium Chamber Alto Sax Mouthpiece.
  • Years Of Playing:3 Months
I am still learning so my ombrichure is still a bit weak (mouth grip)
To sound crisp & jazzy I suggest a metal mouthpiece but theese are harder to control, especialy on learning reeds (1.5 to 2.5)
My Sharkbite still Pops & squeeks way to often for me on a 2 at the moment. (£55 E-BAY purchase)
So I am still using the Yamaha that came with my sax, just carry on practicing for now & listen to how you change over the next few months. record a sample of you playing every month, you`ll be suprised at the difference in just that short time.
The higher you go in reed strength the more control you have but the stronger your ombrichure needs to be.
a strong ombrichure is also the key to enable you to play altisimo easily later on.
I try & practice for an hour a day, this is my third month learning & I am up to a no2 reed.
I have a box of 2.5`s ready for when this one breaks.
I know it`s difficult but dont be in too much of a hurry, it all takes time & practice.
Just have fun & funk, jive & jazz

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

Ken Ng

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 474 posts
  • 114 topics
  • My Saxophone:Maxtone Alto
  • My Mouthpiece:Beechler Bellite 8
  • Years Of Playing:7 years

thx
so , what mouthpiece can sound jazzy?and the reed strength ? and what brand u prefered?

Jazzy? I would say, Hard rubber like Meyer. size 2 1/2 to 3. It depends on how you blow too. It's the players.

Saxophone Community - Admin

One of the best Saxophone Forum out there! - Resources for Saxophonist

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

VandyW

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • 2 topics
oh wow.
thx all

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:59 AM

ravenek

• Moderators
  • 48 posts
  • 3 topics
  • My Saxophone:YAS275
  • My Mouthpiece:Beechler 7
  • Years Of Playing:8
Actually, material of the mouthpiece makes very little difference to the tone. There is an oppinion that metal mouthpiece are very bright and hard rubber/plastic mouthpieces are dark. I have a hard rubber Vandoren Jumbo Java for alto which is very bright. Also, I recently purchased a used tenor sax and got a plastic composite Rico Metallite M5 for it - which is also very bright. On the other hand I've heard quite a few metal mouthpieces (like Otto Link) which were very, very dark. What matters most is the shape of the chamber.

@Paul Dalley
I've seen these Sharkbites on ebay and I don't think they are that good. I don't use my JJava if you'd like to try/buy it, It's very freeblowing and bright.
Also, you can get alot better used mouthpieces for similar to Sharkbite's price on ebay, or even cheaper.
Rico Metallite are often overlooked, mainly because of their price - you can get a brand new Metallite for 25 pounds. I got my tenor piece from ebay for 10 pounds. And for the price - they are outstanding (I'd value them well above basic Yamahas and Selmers).

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

NickClarke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • 10 topics
I have both hard rubber (HR) and metal Yani mouthpieces both with a 7 opening. I used to think the metal was brighter but there really isn't much in it. I can get more volume with the metal but I think this probably has more to do with the shape of the bore than the material.

Metal mouthpieces look nice but in my opinion I can get an almost identical sound from the HR, the hard rubber is also less likely to do damage to your front teeth if accidently pushed into them!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

manylam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:ALto
  • My Mouthpiece:Yamaha 4C
  • Years Of Playing:1

However, I found some ceramic (china, not made in PRC) type, but the price is not cheap. I just thinking are they good, and anyone tried that?

On the other hand, I found out that the price for month piece have huge difference. Is that really have so much difference?

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Markus7rait

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Toneking Amati
  • My Mouthpiece:Beechler Diamond S7
  • Years Of Playing:2012

However, I found some ceramic (china, not made in PRC) type, but the price is not cheap. I just thinking are they good, and anyone tried that?

On the other hand, I found out that the price for month piece have huge difference. Is that really have so much difference?

Can you explain the advantages of the ceramic material's mouthpiece?

thanx manylam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users