nighthawk326

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Anaxa Alto
  • Years Of Playing:0

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

I just got my sax and started practicing, and I have a question about embouchure, or mouth/lip positioning.  What I noticed is when I blow a good sound, my top teeth aren't on the mouthpiece, as I am using my upper lip instead.  Should I always try to make sure that my top teeth are "biting" the mouthpiece?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Lausax

Lausax

Advanced Saxophone Player

• Moderators
  • 78 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

Of course, it's very important that your top teeth are biting the mouthpiece, but you don't have to bite too hard. You must be soft and "natural", so, the correct position is the same when you say the "V", for example in the word "volume". When you say the V, your teeth are biting softly the lower lip. For a better sound you can also "smiling" while playing, obviously without showing teeth. One more tip: don't enter too much or too little the embouchure in your mouth, but you have to stay a little before the middle of it. ;)

Guys, if you need some help, call me. Call me also if you want a specific article for the "Front Page News".

There isn't a best reed in general, but for each of us there is a "special" reed or there ARE some reeds that we love. Sax is a very sensible instrument: the smallest variation is enough to change the sound, for example the position of the reed or the weather.

• Generally, there isn't a superior reed.
  • We must try different reeds.
  • We must understand by ourselves which reed (or reeds) is the best for us.

#3 gregerhillman

gregerhillman

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Alto Selmer, Alto Yanagisawa, Alto Lady face, Selmer tenor, Dixon Soprano
  • My Mouthpiece:Beechler
  • Years Of Playing:25

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I just got my sax and started practicing, and I have a question about embouchure, or mouth/lip positioning.  What I noticed is when I blow a good sound, my top teeth aren't on the mouthpiece, as I am using my upper lip instead.  Should I always try to make sure that my top teeth are "biting" the mouthpiece?

Thanks in advance!

Short answer is Yes.

You need them touching the to side of the mouthpiece to be able to control the tone as well as playing in tune.

Play On!

//Greger

I'm a Swedish saxophone teacher with a great passion for music and teaching others.
You can find out more about me at SaxophoneHub.com, where I teach Saxophone School Online.

#4 gotra

gotra

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Iolite tenor
  • My Mouthpiece:Rico B5
  • Years Of Playing:1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

What are the advantages of "touching the mouthpiece with the teeth" technique, and therefore what are the disadvantages if the teeth are not used while producing a tone on a saxophone? Is there any logical explanation, 'cause  touching the mouthpiece with the teeth while producing a tone I consider as not very pleasant activity, because of the buzzing (vibration) which is transmit from the mouthpiece through teeth directly to the scull. 

Using the upper lip to cushion the vibrations makes playing much more comfortable to me. However I'm forcing myself using the upper front teeth, no matter how uncomfortable it is, but I want to know why I;m doing this?

#5 hitsugayat10

hitsugayat10

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Jupiter Soprano 747
  • My Mouthpiece:Jupiter 4C
  • Years Of Playing:Beginner

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Just wonder how long does it takes to master embouchure for a soprano sax? i have zero experience for woodwinds but do have 3 years experience of F Horn and 2 years of trumpet. Can easily play notes all the way from Low C to High G without using the octave key but that's the end of it. Having difficulty with the "gripping" technique....

I saw Prof Pittel's video on embouchure on the position of the lower lips for higher notes, any other easier way to master this? Like biting harder etc?

#6 micman

micman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Should I bite my inside lower lip?

#7 dschinn

dschinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Should I bite my inside lower lip?

No, that hurts!

#8 Hotkeys

Hotkeys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:Alto
  • My Mouthpiece:Stock
  • Years Of Playing:2

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was told to whistle, then smile big repeatedly  and it will start to build up the embouchure

#9 Markus7rait

Markus7rait

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 2 topics
  • My Saxophone:Toneking Amati
  • My Mouthpiece:Beechler Diamond S7
  • Years Of Playing:2012

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

is there any provision for the position of mouthpiece in the mouth for the formation embouchere right? whether it should be in the middle or in addition? sorry if I ask it in this discussion. I really want to know if there are regulations regarding the correct mouthpiece position in playing the saxophone. I have problems when I blow the mouthpiece position in the middle, which I blow air out instead of the side, probably due to my teeth factor that is not flat, so if I have to blow blowing mouthpiece with mouthpiece over to the side position. Thank you so much. :D  :lol:

#10 rkouvolo

rkouvolo

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

I would call it resting your top teeth on the mouthpiece, not necessarily biting down on it. 

#11 Athrun Bravenwing

Athrun Bravenwing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I agree just rest your teeth on the mouth piece thats what my teacher told me.

#12 saxsolos

saxsolos

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 8 topics
  • My Saxophone:Selmer, Yani, Cannonball, Yamaha, Keilwerth
  • My Mouthpiece:Lamberson
  • Years Of Playing:many

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

#13 drewwhiting

drewwhiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Here is a great video that could help!

#14 Saxrasta

Saxrasta

Advanced Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • 1 topics
  • My Saxophone:Selmer Mark VII tenor, Selmer Super Action 80 alto, Solist baritone
  • My Mouthpiece:tenor- Guardala Michael Brecker II (hand made); alto - RPC custom, Theo Wane Brad Rambur custom, Claude Lakey jazz custom; baritone - Kessler Custom
  • Years Of Playing:31 professionally

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Rest your top teeth on the bite plate of the mouthpiece. ALWAYS! Do NOT just use your upper lip. That is crazy and you will bleed. Top teeth on the mouthpiece, roll your lower lip just over your bottom teeth and let it act as a cushion. Pretend the rest of your mouth has a drawstring and close it around the mouthpiece. Use your left thumb on the thumb rest to keep the mouthpiece firm against your top teeth. You right thumb provides balance. The tip of your tongue should rest where your bottom teeth meet the gum. There should be no looseness or wiggling around with the mouthpiece. It should be solid in place with your embouchure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users