• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 3 topics
  • My Saxophone:Bauhaus Alto
  • My Mouthpiece:Yamaha
  • Years Of Playing:Beginner

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi ,

I am just a beginner, sometimes suddenly during practise I start to squeek or you hear a sound as if there are bubbles or something down the horn lol ;/ and then it will happen again for the rest untill I change the reed and dry everything inside. Is this normal ?

Is there something that I am supposed to do or not :S

Thanks

#2 Lausax

Lausax

Advanced Saxophone Player

• Moderators
  • 78 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Not sure, but probably this depend by you and your bite on the mouthpiece. I think the "bubbles" are caused by your spittle, but it's strange if you clean your instrument! Maybe, it depends by the way you blow. Try to not be too aggressive :)

Guys, if you need some help, call me. Call me also if you want a specific article for the "Front Page News".

There isn't a best reed in general, but for each of us there is a "special" reed or there ARE some reeds that we love. Sax is a very sensible instrument: the smallest variation is enough to change the sound, for example the position of the reed or the weather.

• Generally, there isn't a superior reed.
  • We must try different reeds.
  • We must understand by ourselves which reed (or reeds) is the best for us.

#3 Omniflake

Omniflake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 3 topics
  • My Saxophone:Bauhaus Alto
  • Years Of Playing:Beginner

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Not sure, but probably this depend by you and your bite on the mouthpiece. I think the "bubbles" are caused by your spittle, but it's strange if you clean your instrument! Maybe, it depends by the way you blow. Try to not be too aggressive :)

I practised today for a very long time ( 6.30 - 9 and then 10- 1 and thank god no squeeks or that weird bubble sound hehe ! I think as you said it is related to how my mouth is placed and the spittle.

Try to be less aggressive also :)

Thanks !

#4 Robert Chelliah

Robert Chelliah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:Yamaha YAS 275
  • My Mouthpiece:Yamaha 4C
  • Years Of Playing:10 years

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I had a squeek every now and then just after I got my new alto.  While playing in front of my teacher years ago, he spotted the problem. It was the octave key lever on top of the horn near the mouth piece. Took the horn to a sax technician and he fixed it in 5 mins, by just bending the lever a bit. Never had the problem again!

#5 kiel30

kiel30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:tenor

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

uhmmm

#6 Key of CS

Key of CS

Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:American Selmer Mark VI 1954 (Tenor)
  • My Mouthpiece:Dukoff Metal
  • Years Of Playing:15

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

The squeaking sound produced from your mouthpiece comes from the tension and the muscles applied by your lower lip to the reed.

If you bite the reed or apply too much jaw tension on the reed, you will produce this sound. Try to relax your shoulders when playing and imagine you have an egg in your mouth. If you put too much tension, you'll crush the egg. Just relax, put some slight tension only when needed but do not overdo. Also, try using different reed hardness and see what works for you. I usually buy 1 or 2 of each brand and test them.  

#7 djda

djda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:Yamaha YAS-475
  • Years Of Playing:6

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

You should try changing your reed! it might be your jaw tension like the people previously said, but try changing your reed to a softer sized reed! Or just soak the reed in water for around a minute, dry it on a ppaer towel for another and see if its easier for you to play. that should loosen up your embouchure as well! Hope this helped :) 

#8 Saxsk8r

Saxsk8r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
  • My Saxophone:Selmer Mark VI Soprano, Alto and Tenor
  • My Mouthpiece:SR Technologies, Theo Wanne, Yanagisawa
  • Years Of Playing:5

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi,

I often experienced such problems when I first started. You'll find that as you practice more, this will often stop. Try working on your embouchure and practice long tones. Also, try experimenting with different reeds and mouthpieces, this can be a costly process but is worth the time and money. Another thing is that there could be a leak on your sax. Leaks often cause issues such as squeaking e.t.c

Hope this helps,

Jonny 

#9 Saxrasta

Saxrasta

Advanced Saxophone Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • 1 topics
  • My Saxophone:Selmer Mark VII tenor, Selmer Super Action 80 alto, Solist baritone
  • My Mouthpiece:tenor- Guardala Michael Brecker II (hand made); alto - RPC custom, Theo Wane Brad Rambur custom, Claude Lakey jazz custom; baritone - Kessler Custom
  • Years Of Playing:31 professionally

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Sounds like you are letting way too much saliva go into your mouthpiece during playing. Also check the positioning of the reed on the mouthpiece. Is it straight? Is the tip lined up with the tip of the mouthpiece? Do you work on or resurface your reeds? You should always carry 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a flat piece of glass or plexiglas in your case. place the sandpaper on the glass and use it as a sanding surface to work on the flat side of your reeds. After a little sanding, flip over the sandpaper and use the back side for buffing/polishing the reed. Then hold the reed up to the light look across the surface. Any dull spots are actually low spots. The whole surface should be shiny and smooth as glass. Doing that will drastically improve the sound of the reed and how well it plays. All reeds will warp over time. This will fix the warping. Make it part of your daily routine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users